Birmingham: A History Lesson

69. Deritend

New Mug genres abound in 2013 as we enter virgin territory in the shape of this ‘Can’ for Deritend. (OK,  it looks like a Newbury but the distinctive handle sets this apart.) It’s a very laid back effort with a pretty weak print job or the Vanish tablets have done their worst in the dishwasher. The logo nestles betwixt some gradated fine red swooshes around its base.
As for its donor…“Deritend is a UK-leading provider of engineering asset management, maintenance and repair solutions. We provide bespoke specialist services for organisations across industries including water, power, metals, food and beverage, automotive, transport, mining and quarrying, and petrochemicals, as well as the public sector”

This frankly undersells them. They are a veritable powerhouse in their field. Head office contact details pinpoint them to Wolverhampton and Spotters will know the West Midlands has proved a region virile with classic Trade Earthenware, from giants such as the Jayline & Malcolm Group.

However the name “Deritend” is steeped in Black Country Folklore, as PikiWedia explains…
“Deritend was a crossing point of the River Rea before Birmingham was of any significance. When Peter de Bermingham obtained a charter for a market around 1156 the area to the west of the crossing, Digbeth and beyond, grew into what is now Birmingham. Deritend (in the past called Der-yat-end, possibly Deer Gate End) was across the river towards Warwick in the parish of Aston.

Deritend is first mentioned in 1276 when it is reported that an area on the road in the town of Birmingham encroached into an area of land in the parish of Aston. The first mention of Deritend by name is by Sir John de Birmyneham in 1381, who refers to it as ‘Duryzatehende’.”

Gripping..but before we start coming on too much like TimeTeam, here is the mug.

Deritend

Advertisements